Shorter Antibiotic Duration for Outpatient Infections - Frankly Speaking EP 234
Many providers overtreat outpatient infections for fear of not treating until resolution or causing a complication, but this can lead to antibiotic resistance and adverse events. Join us to discuss the new ACP guidelines on antibiotic use in the outpatient setting and the pediatric treatment recommendations. Walk away with a clear understanding of the guidelines for optimal duration of antibiotic treatment for individuals with an outpatient infection.
Episode References and Resources:
- ACP: Ann Intern Med. doi:10.7326/M20-7355; https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.7326/M20-7355
- Low risk for PCN allergy: Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2020 Feb 21; [e-pub]. (https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202001-0089LE); Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2018, 93 (1): 101-107
- Peds OM: Pediatrics Vol. 131, Issue 31 Mar 2013
- Review current recommendations on drugs of choice and length of treatment for common outpatient infections for adults and children
- Reinforce the appropriate use of testing for patients who believe they have a penicillin allergy
Frank J. Domino, MD
Professor, Family Medicine and Community Health,
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA
Robert A. Baldor, MD, FAAFP
Professor and Chairman, Dept of Family Medicine
UMass Medical School/Baystate
Pri-Med Institute is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Pri-Med Institute designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
For APRNs and PAs, AANPCB and NCCPA accept AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ as the number of hours of participation (AANPCB) or as Category 1 CME credits (NCCPA).
- 0.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
This course is offered through Pri-Med.
To take this course you will be redirected to Pri-Med's website. You must login or create an account with Pri-Med in order to complete this activity.
Mocingbird works to provide curated, high quality content to our users. Have a suggestion? Want to partner with us? Get in touch!