The New York Medical Cannabis Program Required Course Bundle
The New York Medical Cannabis Program Required Course Bundle has been approved by the New York State Office of Cannabis Management and satisfies the New York educational requirements to become a practitioner with the New York Medical Cannabis Program.
This bundle introduces the reader to the endocannabinoid system and its interaction with the components of the cannabis plant, and addresses various aspects of medical marijuana, including administration, therapeutic use, drug metabolism, physiologic and cognitive effects, potential risks, and drug interactions.
The use of marijuana in obstetric patients, pediatric patients, adolescent patients and elderly patients is discussed in detail. Important considerations for patients with ischemic heart disease, hepatic disease, psychotic illness, and those with a history of drug dependence are provided.
The New York State Medical Cannabis Program Rules and Regulations are outlined in a state-specific course, as well.
After completing this activity, the participant should be better able to:
- Describe the endocannabinoid system
- Discuss the components of the endocannabinoid system
- List some of the many functions of the endocannabinoid system
- Define cannabis
- Define marijuana
- Define hemp
- Define phytocannabinoid
- Describe some of the phytocannabinoids
- List a variety of marijuana products
- Describe various modes of marijuana administration
- Describe the pharmacokinetic profile of marijuana for several modes of administration
- Discuss the use of cannabinoid-based drugs in patients with a history of psychotic illness
- Discuss the use of cannabinoid-based drugs in patients with ischemic heart disease
- Discuss the use of cannabinoid-based drugs in patients with hepatic disease
- Discuss the use of cannabinoid-based drugs in patients with a history of drug abuse
- Discuss the use of cannabinoid-based drugs in patients with a hypersensitivity to cannabis-based products
- Discuss the use of cannabinoid-based drugs in obstetric patients
- Discuss the use of cannabinoid-based drugs in pediatric/adolescent patients
- Discuss the use of cannabinoid-based drugs in elderly patients
- List the enzymes responsible for the metabolism of three phytocannabinoids (THC, CBD and CBN)
- Identify clinically significant drug interactions that may occur with cannabinoid-based drugs
- List multiple factors that influence the physiologic and cognitive effects of marijuana
- Discuss the physiologic effects of marijuana
- Discuss the cognitive effects of marijuana
- Describe how marijuana affects CNS function
- Describe how marijuana affects appetite and metabolism
- Describe how marijuana affects gastrointestinal function
- Describe how marijuana affects cardiovascular function
- Describe how marijuana affects the reproductive system
- Describe how marijuana affects the eye
Meredith Fisher-Corn, MD
This course has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of multiple accreditation boards. This curriculum offers up to 3.0 hours of ACCME, ANCC, ACPE, AANP, APA and AGD PACE credits. This activity is jointly provided by Global Education Group and The Answer Page, Inc. ACCME, ANCC, ACPE, and AGD accreditation expires May 21, 2023. APA and AANP accreditation expires May 21, 2022. Full accreditation information is available upon purchase.
The New York State Medical Cannabis Program Rules and Regulations are outlined in a state-specific course.
- New York’s DOH Office of Cannabis Management Rules and Regulations
Instructions for Obtaining Credit
In order to receive credit, participants must complete all course lessons. Participants must also score at least 70% on each chapter quiz. Upon completion of all lessons and quizzes, you must also complete the evaluation form. Your certificate will be available to download upon completion of the evaluation.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
This educational activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Global Education Group (Global) and The Answer Page do not recommend the use of any agent outside of the labeled indications.
The opinions expressed in the educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of any organization associated with this activity. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of patient conditions and possible contraindications on dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer’s product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
- 3.00 AANP Contact Hours
- 3.00 ACPE Pharmacy
- 3.00 AGD
- 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 3.00 ANCC
- 3.00 APA
This course is offered through TheAnswerPage.
To take this course you will be redirected to TheAnswerPage's website. You must login or create an account with TheAnswerPage in order to complete this activity.
Mocingbird works to provide curated, high quality content to our users. Have a suggestion? Want to partner with us? Get in touch