Meeting TMB Education Requirements for Opioid Prescribing
The 2019 Texas Legislative passed multiple bills requiring physicians to complete opioid-related CME covering specific topics identified by the Texas Medical Board (TMB). This webinar meets TMB requirements.
- Legislative requirements for prescribing and monitoring controlled substances
- Safe and effective prescribing of controlled substance for pain management
- Best practices in pain management for non-drug treatments and an individualized multimodal approach
- Standards of care in management of high-risk patients
Upon completion of this program participants should be able to:
- Outline protocols for safe prescribing of opioids and other controlled substance for effective pain management;
- Identify high-risk behavior in patients and apply standards of care;
- Demonstrate effective communication with patients regarding the prescription of an opioid or other controlled substance;
- Comply with regulatory requirements for prescribing and monitoring controlled substances;
- Discuss best practices for alternative treatment options, and multi-modal approaches to pain management
C. M. Schade, MD, PhD
Dr. CM Schade opened his private pain medicine practice in the Dallas Metroplex in 1981 after practicing in the U.S. Air Force. He is board certified in pain management. As a past president of the Texas Pain Society, he serves as a director emeritus on the society’s board. He has been the Texas Pain Society delegate to TMA for the past 20 years.
- Over 40 years of experience in the treatment of chronic pain. He is practicing multifactorial Pain Medicine with his friend and colleague of many years Nagaraj Kikkeri, M.D. at Advanced Pain Solutions in Mesquite (the Dallas Metroplex ), Texas.
- Schade is ABA Board Certified in Integrative Pain Management, a Fellow of Interventional Pain Practice and a Diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology, American Board of Pain Medicine, American Academy of Pain Management and American Board of Interventional Pain Physicians.
- Has a PhD in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from Stanford University and is a Licensed Professional Engineer in the state of Colorado.
- Lt. Colonel Schade also served 10 years with the US Air Force as a Flight Surgeon and served as the Air Force Surgeon General’s Consultant in Chemical Warfare.
- Is a pioneer in the field of spinal cord stimulation and has made multiple contributions that have advanced spinal cord stimulation and pain therapies and has gained national recognition for his work.
- Is also a strong supporter of patient rights and is a Director Emeritus of the Texas Pain Society, Past-President of the Texas Pain Society and the Greater North Texas Pain Society, a Texas Medical Association Delegate and represents Pain Medicine on the Texas Medical Association’s Interspecialty Society, and has been the Pain Medicine Delegate on the Medicare Carrier Advisory Committee.
Brian M. Bruel, MD
Dr. Brian Bruel is in Private Practice at Cy Pain and Spine in Houston and The Woodlands. He is also an Adjunct Professor of Physical Medicine & Rehab at McGovern Medical School in Houston, TX. Dr. Bruel is the 2018 to 2020 President of the Texas Pain Society and he has recently been distinguished as a "Best Doctor in America" by Best Doctors, Inc, SuperDoctor by Texas Monthly and Top Doctor by Castle Connolly.
Sharad Kumar Kohli, MD
Dr. Sharad Kohli is a family physician who has dedicated his career to advancing health equity. He has spent over 17 years working with Federally Qualified Health Centers in both urban and rural settings in California and Texas. He currently works at People’s Community Clinic, an FQHC in Austin, Texas, where he has spearheaded the development of an interprofessional pain management program. Dr. Kohli previously served as the Director of Clinical Affairs for the Texas Association of Community Health Centers, where he provided clinical support to the more than 75 FQHCs through the state. He was a founding Board Member of the national non-profit Integrative Medicine for the Underserved (IM4US), an interprofessional organization committed to health equity and justice through culturally-responsive, accessible, integrative care. He also is an affiliate faculty member in the Department of Population Health at the University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School.
Carlos F. Tirado, MD, MPH
Dr. Carlos Tirado practices in Austin and is board certified in general and addiction psychiatry and addiction medicine. He is a recognized thought leader, innovator, mentor, and clinical expert in addiction treatment and systems of care. Dr. Tirado is president of the Texas Society of Addiction Medicine and has been awarded research and treatment services grants from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Pew Charitable Trust, and National Institutes of Health.
2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ (Enduring)
The Texas Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Texas Medical Association designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
On select courses, the Texas Medical Association requires physician to complete 70-percent of the test questions correctly to receive credit for this course.
See TMA’s Web Site Privacy Statement
This course has been designated for 2.25 credit(s) of education in medical ethics and/or professional responsibility.
2.25 Opioid 2.25
This program addresses the following desirable physician attributes: patient care and procedural skills; interpersonal and communication skills; medical knowledge; provide patient-centered care; values/ethics for interprofessional practice; and roles/responsibilities.
- 2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
This course is offered through Texas Medical Association.
To take this course you will be redirected to Texas Medical Association's website. You must login or create an account with Texas Medical Association in order to complete this activity.
Mocingbird works to provide curated, high quality content to our users. Have a suggestion? Want to partner with us? Get in touch!