Improving Outcomes in Chronic Pain
- CME Certificate Fee: $25.00 (USD) per hr./credit
- Optional Maintenance of Certification Credit (MOC) Fee: $10.00 (USD) per points
- Up to 14.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM
- 14.50 Part II MOC points are available for these specialty board(s):
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Credit Type: Medical Knowledge
- Practice Areas: Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Recognize how to diagnose common pain problems.
- Assess and manage functional status in pain patients.
- Manage long-term pain medications, particularly opioids.
- Utilize referral and ancillary care providers in treating chronic pain.
Charles Chabal, M.D.
Director, Evergreen Pain Management Center
Chief Science Officer, Talaria, Inc.
Dr. Chabal directs the Evergreen Pain Management Center in Seattle, Washington. He has authored numerous articles and textbook chapters on pain medicine.
Dr. Chabal is certified in anesthesiology and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. He is the founder and Chief Science Officer of Talaria Inc., a research company specializing in pain management medical device development, healthcare information dissemination, and medical informatics. He previously served as Director of Pain Services at the VA Puget Sound.
Disclosure: Dr. Chabal states that he does not have any financial arrangements that could constitute a conflict of interest.
Bennet Davis, M.D.
University of Arizona College of Pharmacy
Dr. Davis is President of the Integrative Pain Center of Arizona, a multidisciplinary pain clinic serving the southwestern United States. He is also Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the University of Arizona College of Pharmacy.
Dr. Davis is certified in pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. He previously directed the fellowship program in Pain Medicine at the University of Arizona College of medicine.
Disclosure: Dr. Davis states that he does not have any financial arrangements that could constitute a conflict of interest.
Thomas Elliott, MD
University of Minnesota, Duluth, School of Medicine
Until his recent retirement, Dr. Elliott was the Medical Director of the Pain Management Center and Chief of Education and Research at St. Mary's/Duluth Clinic Health System in Duluth, Minnesota. He is currently Adjunct Professor of Medicine at the University of Minnesota, Duluth School of Medicine.
Dr. Elliott is certified in Internal Medicine, Hematology/Medical Oncology, and Hospice and Palliative Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine. He is nationally known for his work in pain management education and his research in pain treatment, including his work as CEO of the Minnesota Cancer Pain Initiative. He has written extensively on the need for improved medical education in pain management.
Disclosure: Dr. Elliott states that he does not have any financial arrangements that could constitute a conflict of interest.
Author(s)/Editor(s): Charles Chabal, MD; Bennet Davis, M.D.; Thomas Elliott, M.D.
DISCLOSURE STATEMENT: All author(s), contributor(s), editor(s), and CME Office Reviewer(s) state that they do not have any financial arrangements with commercial interests that could constitute a conflict of interest.
John Harris Jr., M.D., M.B.A.
Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine
University of Arizona, College of Medicine
Dr. Harris is past Executive Director of the Office of CME at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. Dr. Harris has served as the Principal Investigator on multiple NIH-funded studies of online CME, and he is the author of a number of professional papers dealing with online CME.
Disclosure: Dr. Harris states that he does not have any financial arrangements that could constitute a conflict of interest.
ACCME/AMA PRA Accreditation Statement
The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson designates this enduring material for a maximum of 14.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
MOC Recognition Statement(s)
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 14.50 Medical Knowledge Part II MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
If you elect to receive MOC credit for this course, you give permission for VLH.com to share your information and activity completion data with the ACCME and the specialty board(s) chosen through the ACCME's Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS).
This course meets general AMA PRA Category 1 CME Credit(s)TM requirements in states that have a CME requirement.
Based on information from state licensing authorities, this program meets special CME requirements in these states:
- California Pain Management CME
- Connecticut Behavioral Health CME
- Georgia Controlled Substance Prescribing / Pain Management CME
- Iowa Chronic Pain Management CME
- Massachusetts Opioid Education/Pain Management CME
May be counted as risk management credits.
- Nevada Medical Ethics, Pain Management or Addiction Care CME
- New Mexico Pain Management CME
- Oregon Pain Management / Terminally Ill / End of Life CME
- Pennsylvania Pain Management and Opioid Prescribing CME
- Rhode Island Opioid Pain Management / Chronic Pain Management CME
- Texas Pain Management and the Prescription of Opioids
These courses meet the pain management CME requirement for pain management clinics.
- Vermont Hospice / Palliative Care / Pain Management CME
- Virginia Pain Management and the Proper Prescribing of Controlled Substances CME
- 14.50 MOC II
- 14.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
This course is offered through Virtual Lecture Hall.
To take this course you will be redirected to Virtual Lecture Hall's website. You must login or create an account with Virtual Lecture Hall in order to complete this activity.
Mocingbird works to provide curated, high quality content to our users. Have a suggestion? Want to partner with us? Get in touch